Recent Articles Indexed
- . Online treatment reduces chronic knee pain from arthritis. Philippine Star February 27, 2017 : 20. »
- . WHO : depression top cause of disability. Philippine Star February 27, 2017 : 28. »
- Speaker backs Duterte's call for tax settlements. Manila Bulletin March 28, 2017 : 3. »
- Snoring in children : cute or bad. IN Health Corner [column]. Philippine Star February 27, 2017 : 20. »
- No joint patrols with Japan yet - Lorenzana. Manila Bulletin March 28, 2017 : 3. »
- Gov't won't settle with Mighty Corp. Manila Bulletin March 28, 2017 : 2. »
- Today's world is not safe for all women - VP Leni. Manila Bulletin March 28, 2017 : 1+. »
- War on drugs not targeting the poor - Palace. Manila Bulletin March 28, 2017 : 1+. »
- ; No-barangay polls readied: Alvarez: Congress to clothe Duterte with power to appoint village chairmen only. Manila Bulletin March 28, 2017 : 1+. »
- Philracom scored over online 'sabong'. Manila Bulletin March 27, 2017 : 7. »
About the IPNThe Index to Philippine Newspapers (IPN) is the University of the Philippines Main Library's index to locally published newspapers. The newspaper index, which started in 1981, was originally a guide to eight (8) locally published newspapers, namely: Manila Bulletin; Philippine Daily Express; Manila Chronicle; Philippine Daily Inquirer; Philippine Star; Malaya; Manila Times; and Times Journal.
An initial automation of the newspaper index, which started in 1991, continued until 1995. During this time, records were encoded in a CDS/ISIS database. After 1995, the project was stopped due to the unavailability of staff to encode and verify records in the database.
In 2001, another attempt to automate the IPN was initiated by the Chito Angeles (Head of Computer Services, University Library, UP Diliman), to continue encoding article indexes into a database. Records were converted from the CDS/ISIS to a new system using a proprietary database. The data in 3x5 slips from 2001 moving backwards to the 1996 issues were encoded by the Computer Services staff. Encoding continued until 2006 and the database has grown to more than 162,000 entries covering nine (9) newspapers published from 1991 to 2006.
In 2006, Chito Angeles completed the development of the Index to Philippine Newspapers Online as a requirement for his Master's degree in Library and Information Science. His thesis was entitled "Design and Implementation of a Web-based Online Database of the U.P. Diliman Main Library's Index to Philippine Newspapers (IPN) Online."
This year (2014), the development of a new version of the IPN Online (Version 2.0) was completed by the same author, with one of his staff, Val Crisostomo (IT Officer I), as co-developer.
The IPN Online 2.0 is a complete article indexing and newspaper management system. It includes the following major features:
- Newspaper Management / Issue Management
- Article Indexing
- Robust Search Engine with Full-text Search Capability
- Built-in Authority Record (for subject and name headings)
- Virtual Cart (for bookmarking records, printing, sending to email)
- Digital File (full-text article) Download